Wal-Mart Stores Inc will no longer sell Amazon.com Inc’s Kindle products, making a bet that consumers are more interested in other gadgets.
The retailer said the decision was consistent with its overall merchandising strategy. While Wal-Mart dwarfs other retailers in overall sales, it trails Amazon and others in online sales and has been trying to beef up its Internet business.
Consumers who buy Kindle tablets such as the new Kindle Fire HD can shop on the devices for more than just digital books, pushing Amazon into heightened competition with stores.
"We have recently made the business decision to not carry Amazon tablets and eReaders beyond our existing inventory and purchase commitments," Wal-Mart said in a memo sent to store managers on Wednesday. "This includes all Amazon Kindle models current and recently announced."
A Wal-Mart spokeswoman confirmed the decision and said the company would continue to sell “a broad assortment” of other tablets, eReaders and accessories. Amazon declined to comment.
EXCLUSIVE: Wal-Mart stops selling Amazon Kindles
33 Notes/ Hide
- wilz1971 likes this
- ebdisme reblogged this from reuters
- pod313 reblogged this from reuters
- drueisms likes this
- aldoholod likes this
- shipwreckedinsc reblogged this from reuters
- case-custom reblogged this from reuters
- dearspacee reblogged this from reuters
- dearspacee likes this
- ringoosu reblogged this from reuters and added:
- senoritabonitakikilu likes this
- ahandsomestark reblogged this from reuters
- ahandsomestark likes this
- productivegossip likes this
- reallyfuckingup likes this
- interceptor15 likes this
- searchengineland likes this
- sonofwarandwisdom likes this
- starchildnoodles reblogged this from reuters
- digithoughts likes this
- This was featured in #Tech
- questionall reblogged this from reuters
- questionall likes this
- dwightkschrute likes this
- reuters posted this