A new nationwide strategy to prevent suicides, especially among U.S. military veterans and younger Americans, will tap Facebook Inc as part of a community-driven push to report concerns before someone takes their own life.
The new Facebook service will allow users to report suicidal comments they see online from friends. The website will then send the potential victim an email urging them to call the hotline as well as chat confidentially online with a counselor.
"All too often, people in crisis do not know how - or who - to ask for help," Facebook Global Vice President for Public Policy Marne Levine said in a statement. "We have a unique opportunity to provide the right resources to our users in distress, when and where they need them most."
The effort, announced on Monday, is the first new plan in more than a decade to address what officials say is a growing public health issue and aims to curb deaths over 10 years.
"It takes the entire community to prevent suicides. It’s not just one individual," U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin told Reuters. "We call can play a role."
68 Notes/ Hide
- westabingtonwonder likes this
- lynettejohnson likes this
- quaqejr likes this
- fallingoverbrokenpromises likes this
- meceseje likes this
- noprozac-endorphines reblogged this from emergentfutures
- futurist-foresight likes this
- goonandtrytotearmedown428 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- andradedallete likes this
- letthetigergo likes this
- letthetigergo reblogged this from emergentfutures
- thefictioninlife likes this
- estrellasince89 likes this
- keithaneth reblogged this from emergentfutures
- emergentfutures reblogged this from reuters
- digital0ve reblogged this from reuters and added:
- productivegossip reblogged this from reuters
- audreyellen reblogged this from reuters
- tempestinateacup-get-unique reblogged this from modesty-and-honesty
- modesty-and-honesty reblogged this from reuters
- athsear reblogged this from pdl2h
- brittanymichelle97 said: This is a great idea! Hopefully this technique will save a life!
- gamelikerunescape likes this
- rvstintheoil reblogged this from reuters
- cadavrs likes this
- zbhoy reblogged this from reuters
- sphinxnomore likes this
- rvstintheoil likes this
- judgementalbee reblogged this from reuters
- travelgadgets likes this
- greggyour reblogged this from reuters
- thebesstuffonearth reblogged this from reuters
- imrushedfortime reblogged this from reuters and added:
- foxwithsocks likes this
- digithoughts likes this
- digitalmillenium reblogged this from reuters
- self-styled-iconoclast said: Do people even realize how melodramatic the internet even IS? And for someone like me who grew up with the internet being this place of solitude where I could get my thoughts out uninterrupted, something like this would be devastatingly invasive.
- bippity-boppity-bree likes this
- mazonkiller reblogged this from reuters
- eastfox likes this
- nadeshikomatsuri likes this
- sashanako likes this
- drrandom reblogged this from reuters
- snippetsofidentity likes this
- jimrehs reblogged this from reuters
- queendarthzannah reblogged this from reuters
- ohtheplacesyoullgo1 reblogged this from reuters