Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik was jailed for a maximum term on Friday when judges declared him sane enough to answer for the murder of 77 people last year, drawing a smirk of triumph from the self-styled warrior against Islam.
An unrepentant Breivik, 33, gave the Oslo court a stiff-armed, clench-fisted salute before being handed the steepest possible penalty, 21 years. His release, however, can be put off indefinitely should he still pose a threat to a liberal society left traumatized by his bomb and shooting rampage last July.
Justifying blasting a government building and gunning down dozens of teenagers at a summer camp as a service to a nation threatened by immigration, he had said only acquittal or death would be worthy outcomes. But his biggest concern was being declared insane, a fate he said would be “worse than death”.
Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen dismissed a prosecution call for her to label Breivik mad, a ruling that would have seen him confined indefinitely to psychiatric care rather than prison.
21 Notes/ Hide
- sikillerkitty reblogged this from reuters
- pithyaphorisms reblogged this from reuters
- apogeudoabismo reblogged this from reuters and added:
- runningblind30 reblogged this from gracefree and added:
- marcobalostro likes this
- gracefree reblogged this from reuters
- baveshmoorthy reblogged this from reuters
- shiny-umbrella said: 21 years for killing 77 people? Holy shit Oslo…
- thebackstagepress reblogged this from reuters
- pithyaphorisms likes this
- chillaxilated reblogged this from reuters and added:
- unfinite reblogged this from reuters
- ucsdhealthsciences likes this
- politicalthinker2099 reblogged this from reuters
- davemccartney likes this
- yellowhammer-blurb said: Is there no limit to Man’s evil?
- abstractosdreamos reblogged this from reuters
- reuters posted this