With very little understanding of astronomy but with the aid of a phone app, I began a three evening attempt to capture the moon with the Olympic Rings. The rings have been hanging iconically on Tower Bridge for the London 2012 Olympic Games and it was suggested to me that a full moon should – at the right angle – cross through them.
Day One – Having planned to be in the “perfect” spot on London Bridge with a good view of the Olympic Rings further up river and using the app information, I waited for the moon to rise. However the horizon itself was a little cloudy. When the moon eventually showed itself about 10 minutes after the app’s moonrise time it was off to the right hand side of the bridge.
I hadn’t taken into account that the moon wouldn’t rise in a vertical line but would travel across the sky. So, by a combination of it appearing late through cloud and miscalculation, I was totally in the wrong place. I rushed carrying the tripod with a heavy 400mm lens attached and the rest of my camera gear hanging off my shoulders – running off the bridge, down several flights of steps, and to the path alongside the River Thames to try re-align the moon with the rings.
However, the moon moves surprising quickly. I couldn’t manage to run far or fast enough in time to get the image before the moon rose high, over and above the bridge.
Day Two – Armed with my 400mm, only a monopod and less gear, ready to run after the moon should I be in the wrong location again, I returned to London Bridge. A recalculation had been made. The moon was rising later and at a slightly different angle to the night before.
From my previous mistakes I knew that when the moon was on the horizon it needed to be to my left in order for it to move across through the rings. However, to my dismay, the rings were not there.
63 Notes/ Hide
- xx-rapunzel-xx reblogged this from reuters
- thousandhanclbrightskycannon likes this
- havagoodayok reblogged this from reuters
- 7see reblogged this from reuters and added:
- 7see likes this
- automatonoverride reblogged this from dom72
- nanaelena reblogged this from reuters
- nanaelena likes this
- suzananana likes this
- paulrnsm reblogged this from reuters
- foraggio likes this
- foraggio reblogged this from reuters
- toropiski reblogged this from reuters
- sankeiphoto likes this
- christineseiber reblogged this from reuters
- maltese-falcon likes this
- wenlilee reblogged this from linwennyc
- stdesign reblogged this from reuters
- iferlee likes this
- thewaroffivequeens likes this
- cherryboobhunter reblogged this from reuters
- jistark likes this
- theaugustinelion reblogged this from wyndy-field
- wyndy-field reblogged this from reuters
- huumaaniistaa likes this
- fuzkiaha likes this
- linwennyc reblogged this from reuters
- everlastingkarma likes this
- culturally-confused likes this
- vinho likes this
- b00g3rlicious likes this
- peaceofsarah likes this
- madamedevideoland likes this
- ahusevics likes this
- automatonoverride likes this
- i-mjane likes this
- tamerah likes this
- invocationofglamour likes this
- jhermann likes this
- yoshiko likes this
- lowfences likes this
- kalakaiya reblogged this from reuters
- trinibird likes this
- trinibird said: I appreciate all the effort it took!
- abdulxvi likes this
- pockydee reblogged this from reuters
- skyberry likes this
- jeroenpraat reblogged this from reuters
- jambu2525 likes this
- laneysmomjeepnhero reblogged this from reuters