Twitter Inc and NBC Universal’s move to suppress a British reporter’s tweets related to the network’s Olympics coverage may have backfired after the incident became fodder for Twitter chatter around the world on Monday.
The microblogging service suspended Guy Adams, the Los Angeles correspondent for London-based daily The Independent, after he sent a tweet on Friday revealing NBC Olympics President Gary Zenkel’s email address.
Adams was among a number of Twitter users in the United States who vented their frustration with NBC, a Comcast Corp subsidiary, for showing the London Olympics’ opening ceremony on tape delay to coincide with evening prime-time in the United States.
“The man responsible for NBC pretending the Olympics haven’t started yet is Gary Zenkel. Tell him what u think! Email: Gary.firstname.lastname@example.org,” Adams tweeted.
As part of his suspension, Adams’ account and his tweets were rendered invisible. But in a twist of irony, the incident went viral on Monday, as “Guy Adams” became a worldwide trending topic on Twitter.
In an email to Adams, Twitter informed the reporter that he had violated “Twitter Rules” by posting another user’s private information such as “private email address, physical address, telephone number, or financial documents.”
NBC confirmed that it had filed a complaint with Twitter.
86 Notes/ Hide
- thweets likes this
- domaniczky likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from reuters
- silas216 likes this
- republiqueta reblogged this from cheatsheet
- inurclosets reblogged this from this-is-eirikur
- jaqwatdas reblogged this from hsmt
- kennyvee reblogged this from dragonbadgerhugs and added:
- queenofdenial likes this
- burninginyourheart reblogged this from calidreamin08
- hsmt reblogged this from gtokio
- ponchochik reblogged this from reuters
- lookinwardfirst reblogged this from reuters
- somelondonguy likes this
- calidreamin08 reblogged this from flattemberthefourth
- henrythegangstercat likes this
- ameenarasheed likes this
- stuckinthefuturepresentandpast reblogged this from reuters
- stuckinthefuturepresentandpast likes this
- ilikemygrungelikeilikemysteak likes this
- ohdearmydear likes this
- dragonbadgerhugs reblogged this from missgingerlee
- polarispot said: Classic America: money before anything else. also, I’m sure you can find the guy’s email address elsewhere online. and he’s a public figure. I see no reason why the reporter’s Twitter should have been shut down.
- whineandbeer likes this
- topskins likes this
- hipstershatehipsters reblogged this from occupyv
- nakedpancakeshindig reblogged this from missgingerlee
- sihmah reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- nohetero likes this
- occupyv reblogged this from reuters
- theyoungwitch reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- trotskitty reblogged this from missgingerlee
- franzeillaise likes this
- greggyour reblogged this from reuters
- fallopianrhapsody reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- whatleighdidnext likes this
- randyc09 likes this
- this-is-eirikur reblogged this from missgingerlee and added:
- readinglist32 reblogged this from glossylalia
- dream-crusher reblogged this from missgingerlee and added:
- dirtylovegames likes this
- ojlefty reblogged this from missgingerlee
- missgingerlee reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- missgingerlee likes this
- masonraburn likes this
- shipwreckedinsc reblogged this from reuters
- shipwreckedinsc likes this
- thescienceofreality likes this
- lolzanity reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias