First there is the phone call. It’s a quiet Sunday afternoon in Washington when the phone rings. “Can you be at the White House for a meeting in four hours? I can’t tell you why, but we need you to be there.”
Hmmm … I’ve seen this show before, and I pretty much know what the deal is. President Obama is going to be traveling somewhere unsavory and everything about it will be Top Secret until he lands at his mystery destination.
A beautiful weekend here in the D.C. area is instantly transformed from worrying about my son’s soccer games to worrying about where I am going, how long I will be gone and what preparations must I make before departure? The wheels are already churning before the White House meeting that evening.
As soon as we walk into the meeting, we are told: our destination is Afghanistan. Purpose: to sign a strategic partnership agreement. Coincidentally, or not, it is the one year anniversary of the killing of Osama Bin Laden.
17 Notes/ Hide
- 310topetaluma reblogged this from reuters and added:
- wizardblue reblogged this from reuters
- mrsrobinsonsghost reblogged this from reuters
- cybergata likes this
- justamynow likes this
- thoughtsthingsandthickhair reblogged this from reuters
- elizs likes this
- delishytown likes this
- bobbycaputo reblogged this from reuters
- gergelytakacs likes this
- mhking reblogged this from matthewkeys
- italianieuropei likes this
- thedivineasshole likes this
- bethanysworld likes this
- liableness reblogged this from reuters
- matthewkeys reblogged this from reuters
- reuters posted this